The health benefits of nutmeg oil include its ability to treat stress, pain, menstrual cramps, heart disorders, indigestion, blood pressure, cough and bad breadth. The health benefits of nutmeg oil can be attributed to its medicinal properties such as sedative, stimulant, relaxing, anti inflammatory, antiseptic, bactericide, etc.
Nutmeg has the Latin name Myristica fragrans. It is also known by other common names such as mace, muscdier, magic, muskatbaum, noz moscada, myristica, nuez moscada and nux moschata.
The nutmeg tree grows very tall and may reach up to seventy feet. Nutmeg oil is obtained from the seed of the fruit of this tree. The fruit when dried gives nutmeg which is the seed and mace which is the covering. Traditionally, nutmeg was believed to be effective against plague and hence it was popular during the time of Elizabeth.
The health benefits of nutmeg oil include the following:
Brain Tonic: Nutmeg oil stimulates the brain and therefore removes mental exhaustion and stress. It is also believed that nutmeg oil improves the quality of your dreams, making them more intense and colorful. It is a good remedy for anxiety as well as depression. Nutmeg oil is often used in homeopathy. In the ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, nutmeg was popular as an effective brain tonic in spite of its high cost and rarity. Nutmeg oil also enhances concentration and increases your overall efficiency at study and work.
Pain Relief: Nutmeg oil is very useful for treating muscular and joint pain and sores as it is an excellent sedative. Nutmeg oil is also anti-inflammatory and therefore massaging the part that is in pain with nutmeg oil is an effective treatment for arthritis, rheumatism, lumbago, etc. Nutmeg oil is an essential part of the Chinese medicine when it comes to treating abdominal pain, and inflammation. It reduces the swelling of joints. Often, overexertion leads to body or muscle ache. In such cases nutmeg oil can be very useful to remove the pain.
Menstrual Cramps: Some women often face menstrual irregularities and have menstrual cramps. Nutmeg oil is very helpful for these people.
Indigestion: Nutmeg oil is good for digestion and helps in removing stomach aches and removing gas from stomach and intestine. Therefore, nutmeg oil is good for indigestion, flatulence, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. It also encourages appetite. Care should be taken to consume nutmeg oil internally in lower doses.
Blood Pressure: Nutmeg oil is a good stimulant not just for the mind but also for the entire body. Its relaxing aroma comforts the body, increases blood circulation and therefore helps those who have poor blood circulation.
Respiratory Problems: Nutmeg oil form an important ingredient in many cough syrups and cold rubs as it helps in relieving cough and cold. It is also believed that nutmeg oil can be used for treating asthma.
Heart Problems: Nutmeg oil also stimulates the cardiovascular system and therefore is a good tonic for the heart.
Bad Breath: The woody aroma of nutmeg oil helps in removing bad breadth. It is also antiseptic in nature and is effective for toothaches and aching gums. As a result, it is also added in numerous toothpastes.
Liver Tonic: An important health benefit of nutmeg oil is its ability to treat liver diseases. The oil is capable of removing toxins from the liver, thereby making it a good liver tonic.
Kidney: Nutmeg oil is often recommended for treating kidney infections and kidney diseases. It also helps in dissolving kidney stones.
Nutmeg and nutmeg oil also has numerous other benefits. These include:
* Spice: The herb is very popular as a spice and is often used for culinary purposes. In cooking nutmeg is versatile and can be used in potato dishes and meat preparations in Europe, garam masala in India, and curry ingredient in Japan.
* Incense: Nutmeg is used in various incense sticks due to its woody fragrance. It is also believed that Roman priest used to burn nutmeg as incense.
* Flavor: Nutmeg or Jaiphal as it is called in Hindi is a very popular flavoring agent in making sweets in India. It is also used in baked goods, sauce, ice cream, custards, etc. Certain coffee drinks including cappuccino are used are flavored using nutmeg and cinnamon.
* Soaps: The antiseptic properties of nutmeg make it useful in the manufacture of antiseptic soaps. Nutmeg essential oil is used for bath due to its refreshing nature.
* Cosmetics: Since nutmeg oil is antibacterial and antiseptic, it is used in many cosmetics meant for dull, oil and wrinkled skin. It is also used in making after shave lotions and creams.
* Room Freshener: Nutmeg oil can also be used as a room freshener.
* Tobacco: Nutmeg oil is also used in the tobacco industry.
Nutmeg oil blends well with many other essential oils including lavender, rosemary, orange, black pepper, clary sage, eucalyptus, ginger, ylang ylang, etc.