The health benefits of Vetiver Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like anti inflammatory, anti septic, aphrodisiac, cicatrisant, nervine, sedative, tonic and vulnerary.
If I say Vetiver is famous all over the Indian Subcontinent, it may be difficult to understand for many since they are not well acquainted with this name. Instead, it is very much popular by the name of “Khus” or “Khus-Khus” and it is extensively used in the perfume, cooling, food and beverages industries. The botanical name of vetiver is Vetiveria Zizanoides or Andropogon Muricatus. This grass has a very pleasant and mild earthy, musky smell which has a cooling effect on the body and the mind. The dried grass and its roots are used to thatch the side panels of water based room and window coolers, since it cools and adds its fragrance to the moist air. It is also used to thatch roofs of earthen houses and its mattresses are used as curtains on doors and windows, which, apart from cooling and scenting the rooms, keeps insects away. That is why its demand rises excessively during summers, particularly in hot countries like India and its neighbours. The Essential Oil of Vetiver is obtained through steam distillation of its roots and its main components are alpha vetivone, benzoic acid, beta vetivone, furfurol, vetiverol, vetivene and vetivenyl vetivenate. Its essential oil is also used extensively in perfume industries (perfumes for body, room fresheners, coolers etc.), cosmetics, soaps, oils and as a flavouring agent in beverages and sorbets and food stuffs.
This Essential Oil is very popular in aromatherapy and has many medicinal properties, which are described in brief below.
* Anti Inflammatory: The very soothing and cooling effect of this essential oil calms and pacifies all sorts of inflammations. But it is particularly good in giving relief from inflammations in circulatory system and nervous system. It is found to be an appropriate treatment for inflammations caused by sun stroke, dehydration and loo (name given to very hot and dry winds prevalent during summers in the dry regions of India and few neighbouring countries).
* Anti Septic: In tropical countries like India and its neighbours, microbes and bacteria grow very fast due to their favourable hot and humid climate found in this region. Then it becomes obvious that your wounds are most likely to get septic in these places since there are plenty of bacteria here. But Mother Nature is very kind and she has provided the remedies too, right in those places. One such remedy is this Vetiver and the essential oil extracted from it. This oil efficiently stops the growth of Staphylococcus Aureus, the bacteria responsible for causing septic, and eliminates them, thereby helping cure septic and giving protection against it. Being totally safe, this oil can be applied externally on wounds or taken orally, to protect wounds as well as internal organs from septic.
* Aphrodisiac: Mixed in sorbets and beverages as a flavouring agent, this oil has an aphrodisiac effect. It enhances libido and gives arousals. Since sex has more to do with the psychology (brain) than the physiology, remedy for most of the sexual disorders like frigidity, lack of libido, impotence etc. lays in the brain. Certain components of this oil stimulate those portions of brain and the problems are over.
* Cicatrisant: Cicatrisant is a property by virtue of which a substance speeds up the eradication or disappearance of the scars and other marks from the skin. It promotes growth of new tissues in the affected places which replace the dead and discoloured tissues and helps achieve a uniform look. This is also useful for the post delivery stretch marks, fat cracks, after spots left by pox, burns etc.
* Nervine: A tonic for the nerves is called a nervine, like our Essential Oil of Vetiver is. It takes care of the nerves and maintains them in good health. It also heals the damages done to the nerves by shock, fear, stress etc. Further, it helps get rid of nervous disorders, afflictions, epileptic and hysteric attacks, nervous and neurotic disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease, lack of control over limbs etc.
* Sedative: The Essential Oil of Vetiver is a well known sedative. It sedates nervous irritations, afflictions, convulsions and emotional outbursts such as anger, anxiety, epileptic and hysteric attacks, restlessness, nervousness etc. and even benefits patients of insomnia.
* Tonic: The effect of a tonic on the body is quite similar to that of overhauling and servicing on a vehicle. A tonic tones up every system functioning in the body, namely the digestive system, respiratory system, circulatory system, excretory system, immune system, endocrinal system, nervous system and the neurotic system. Thus, in nutshell, it keeps the metabolic system in order, rejuvenates the body, gives strength and boosts immunity.
* Vulnerary: This property of Vetiver Essential Oil helps heal wounds by promoting growth of new tissues at the wounded place and also by keeping it safe from infections by inhibiting growth of microbes and promoting crowding of leucocytes and platelets at the place.
* Other Benefits: It also benefits patients of rheumatism, arthritis, gout, muscular aches, dryness and cracking of skin etc.
Few Words of Caution: This essential is completely safe, being non irritant, non sensitizing and non toxic.
Blending: The essential oils of benzoin, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender and ylang-ylang blend well with the Essential Oil of Vetiver.