Camomile Oil is extracted from the flowers of the Camomile plant which is very popular as a flowering plant. There are two types of Camomile, namely, the Roman Camomile which is scientifically known as Anthemis Nobilis and the German Camomile whose scientific name is Matricaria Chamomilla. Although the essential oils extracted from both the varieties are quite similar in medicinal properties, yet they differ to some extent when it comes to their composition and certain properties.
The Roman Camomile oil is constituted of Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, Camphene, Caryophyllene, Sabinene, Myrcene, Gamma Terpinene, Pinocarvone, Farsenol, Cineole, Propyl Angelate and Butyl Angelate.
The German Camomile oil, on the other hand, is composed of Azulene (here called Chamazulene, since found in Camomile), Alpha Bisabolol, Bisabolol Oxide-A & B and Bisabolene Oxide-A.
While the Roman Camomile Oil is more calming and is a better emenagogue, the German Camomile is a very powerful anti inflammatory due to presence of a compound called Azulene (It is a nitrogenous compound and is responsible for giving it a characteristic deep blue color). But these are not the only medicinal properties of Camomile Oil. There are lots and lots of them. The properties given below include those of the Roman as well as the German variety, except where mentioned otherwise.
Just go through them and you’ll discover a whole range of safe medicines.
* Anti Septic, Anti Biotic, Disinfectant, Bactericidal & Vermifuge: They have very good anti septic and anti biotic properties and do not let biotic infections (infections due to biotic factors such as bacteria, fungi etc.) develop. They also wipe off infections already present. These are good vermifuge too and kill all sorts of intestinal worms. If applied on hair, it kills lice and mites, keeping hair and scalp free from infections and damage.
* Stimulant & Anti Depressant: Both the varieties have been seen very effective in fighting depression and for raising spirit. They eliminate feeling of sadness, depression, disappointment, sluggishness etc. and induce a sort of happy or charged feeling. Even smelling these oils can help a lot overcoming depression and bring about good mood.
* Anti Inflammatory & Sedative: While Roman Camomile is found effective in calming down annoyance, anger and irritation, particularly in small children. The German variety, on the other hand, is found more effective on adults for curing inflammations, particularly those in digestive and urinary system. They also reduce blood pressure and check swelling of the blood vessels.
* Analgesic & Anti Neuralgic: They have analgesic properties and efficiently reduce pain in muscles and joints, headache, sinus, toothache, bone injuries etc. They are also very effective in giving relief in the severe pain of Neuralgia by constricting the blood vessels surrounding the Ninth Cranial Nerve and relieving pressure on it.
* Stomachic, Digestive and Hepatic & Cholagogue: Being stomachic, they tone up stomach and set it to proper function. They promote secretion of digestive juices into stomach and facilitate digestion. They also promote digestion. Being Hepatic (meaning good for liver), they ensure good health of liver and proper flow of bile from it. They are also Cholagogue, meaning they increase secretion of Hydrochloric Acid, bile and enzymes in stomach, thereby promoting digestion.
* Anti Rheumatic & Anti Phlogistic: They cure dysfunctions of the circulatory system, stimulate circulation and detoxify the blood of toxins like uric acid, thereby helping cure ailments like Rheumatism, Arthritis etc. which are caused due to improper circulation and accumulation of uric. These make them good Anti Phlogistics, the agents which reduce swelling and edema.
* Anti Spasmodic, Relaxant & Nervine: They calm all nervous disturbances or hyper-reactions which result in convulsions, spasms, nervousness, loss of control over limbs etc. They are Nervine, that is, keep the nerves and the nervous system in a state of good health and proper functioning.
* Cicatrisant & Vulnerary: They are very popular in the world of cosmetics, as they diminish the scars, marks and spots on the skin and on the face (being a Cicatrisant) and also protect wounds, cuts and bruises from getting infected, thus serving as a Vulnerary.
* Sudorific & Febrifuge: They induce profuse perspiration (being Sudorific), thus removing toxins and agents causing infections and cooling down the body, effectively giving relief in fever, thus serving as a Febrifuge.
* Carminative: Expel gas from the intestines and stomach and also check gas formation. This also helps relax the body and lower blood pressure. It also ends the chances of other risks from gas, such as trapping of gas in the wind pipe etc.
* Tonic: They are tonic in nature, i.e. they tone up skin, muscles, internal organs etc.
* Other Benefits: They are anti allergenic, help cure acne by removing toxins and cleaning Sebaceous and Eccrine glands through sweating, clean up the urinary system and the kidneys through increased urination (being diuretic), detoxify blood and increase strength as they are also fortifying in nature. They can help cure viral infections like mumps, measles etc. Can be used in mouth wash too, to keep away bad breath and eliminate oral infections. German Camomile oil is a vasoconstrictor.
Few Words of Caution: No specific threats noticed, except that it should be avoided if someone has allergies with it or with any other member of Ragweed Family, to which Camomile belongs.
Blending: Camomile Oil forms find blends with Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Jasmine, Geranium, Grapefruit, Tea Tree, Rose, Lemon, Lime and Ylang-Ylang Oil.